The Barn at Back Acres Farm is an ideal, romantic destination for custom special events. With seating for up 200 guests and a picture-perfect setting, the Barn at Back Acres Farm is waiting for you to make memories that will last a lifetime.
Located just a half mile over the Illinois border in southeastern Wisconsin, The Barn is situated on 100 acres and surrounded on 3 sides by lush farmland and woods. The location offers you the privacy and tranquility of a rural setting with easy access to nearby nightlife, shopping, Lake Geneva’s waterfront, and more.
Come for a visit and tour the elegantly rustic barn with its airy open space, glittering wall of mirrors, and four magnificent wagon wheel chandeliers. Explore four acres of gorgeous gardens, outdoor ceremony spaces, intimate seating nooks, and cozy fire pits. Pop into the 5-bedroom/3.5 bath renovated 1900-era farmhouse decorated in French country style, and take in the peaceful vistas from the large second-floor deck.
The Barn is also an equine-friendly facility; please inquire for details.
7-minute drive: Fontana on Lake Geneva waterfront, WI
11-minute drive: Harvard, IL with convenient access to the Northwest Metra train line connecting to Chicago
20-minute drive: Lake Geneva, WI and Richmond, IL
30-minute drive: Woodstock, IL
50-minute drive: Rockford, IL
60-minute drive: Milwaukee, WI
60-minute drive: Madison, WI
90-minute drive: Chicago, IL
We are a seasonal operation open May 1 through October 31.
Hours of rental are:
Friday & Saturday: 10 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
Sunday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
INCLUDED IN THE RATE
The following services and amenities are included in the cost of your event. Note that some services/amenities are for weddings only.
- 2 staff on site day of event *** Please note: Staff are not wedding planners, and will only be responsible for ensuring site operations (water, electricity, parking assistance, house/barn access) run smoothly during your event ***
- Designated parking for 100 cars & staff parking assistance (non-valet)
- Indoor restrooms
- Trash disposal
- Handicap accessible
- Wedding Only: Day-of activity directional signs
- Wedding Only: Selection of vintage staging items available (trunks, benches, tables, small bar, milk cans, burlap drink banner, assorted lace table cloths, etc.) for ceremony and reception
- Seating for up to 200
- Tables and chairs
- Staff set up and knock down
- Designated dance floor
- Movable Bar
- 800 square foot outdoor cocktail area with tables and umbrellas
- 800 square foot outdoor 2nd story deck with indoor accessibility
- Separate buffet serving and set-up room for caterers that includes refrigerator + freezer, 5 chicken wire wrapped frames for displaying photos & 3 chalkboard frames for personalizing the space
- Wedding Only: Barn entrance drapery
- Wedding only: 3 different arbor options and 4 different seating options for ceremonies
- Staff set up and knock down
- 4 acres of outdoor area
- – Outdoor seating nooks
– Large sand-filled area for games, evening fire pits, & tiki torches (firepits and torches provided)
– Extensive lawn & gardens
- Landscape and tree lighting
- Wedding only: Use of first floor of house which includes the Bridal Suite (1 full bath, half bath, 2 bedrooms, kitchen) for 4 hours prior to ceremony; family, wedding party, and photographer only
NOT INCLUDED IN THE RATE
- Event insurance for the day of the event ( $1 million liability recommended; required). This can usually be purchased through one’s homeowner’s policy, or see list of suggested vendors.
- China, silverware and glassware
- Catering services
- Bar services
- Flower arrangements
- Speciality rental furnishings
- Lawn games
The Barn is owned and operated by Mary Beth & Wayne Adams
Mary Beth is an artist and designer. Wayne is a builder and master craftsman. Together, they have spent their lives dedicated to preserving the legacy of The Barn and using their diverse talents to showcase all that it has to offer. You can rest assured Mary Beth & Wayne will put their expertise and creativity to work for you, making your vision a reality.
Old barns tell the best stories.
Destroyed by fire in the late 1800s, The Barn at Back Acres Farm was rebuilt in 1936 and today is listed on the Walworth County Historical Barns Registry.
Its roots with our family trace back to the 1920s when a Polish immigrant with a dream in his heart and a glint in his eye traded his home in Oak Park, Illinois for a farm in southern Wisconsin.
Now in its fourth generation with the family, The Barn is once again finding new life as a event space. Our daughter envisioned having her wedding here after getting engaged in 2011, so we immediately rolled up our sleeves and got to work clearing out the up-to-our-eyeballs level of clutter that had accumulated over the years since it had last been used as a working dairy farm. After two full summers of back-breaking labor (which yielded such treasures as the wagon wheels that now serve as elegant chandelier lighting), our work was done—and the results were stunning.
Since our daughter’s wedding in 2012, we’ve been honored to host our son’s wedding and many other family oriented events to great success. We are pleased to share this truly special space to the wider public.